Controlled Burn Guidelines


  • Garbage
  • Dead animals or animal waste
  • Junk motor vehicles or parts
  • Tires or other rubber materials
  • Plastic
  • Asphalt
  • Tar and petroleum products
  • Paints
  • Lumber or Preservative treated wood
  • Trade waste (construction or demolition waste, or any material resulting from the operation of any business)
  • Insulated wire
  • Pathogenic waste
  • Hazardous waste


  • Recreational Warming Fires: fires for preparation of food, campfires, and BBQ area allowable, as are small fires for hand warming.
  • Residential Yard Waste: Leaves, grass clippings and branches on the property where they were grown.
  • Paper and Cardboard: Only if house to house garbage service is not available.
  • Weed Control Fires: Fires for weed abatement along fence lines, ditch banks, and canal banks.
  • Prescribed Burning: Open Burning of forest and rangeland to accomplish land management objectives is allowed.
  • Training Fires: Fires to train firefighters are allowed.


For an agricultural burn, a burn permit MUST FIRST be obtained from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) by calling 800-232-4635 or by visiting their web page.

Crop Residue Burning includes:

  • Whole Fields
  • Pastures
  • Spots within a field or pasture
  • Broken bales in the field that they were generated during the time of harvest
  • CRP lands
  • Food Plots
  • Blanching or flaming operations


Regardless of the type of burning you will be doing, a burn MUST be registered with Madison Fire Department by calling (208) 359-3010. We hope to have online burn registration available again the first weekend of April.

  • You must review the Idaho State Burn statutes regarding the Closed Season to ensure your burn is done in the appropriate time.
  • A suitable water supply, or any other acceptable means, shall be available on site capable of extinguishing the fire should the need arise.
  • A responsible adult (over the age of 18) must attend the fire at ALL times.
  • If the winds increase to 20 MPH or more burning shall be ceased.
  • Burn pile shall be a minimum of 75 feet from any structure.
  • No fires are allowed after dark.
  • The person who starts the fire is responsible for any fire or smoke damage to any property as well as the cost associated with extinguishment if the Fire Department is summoned.
  • A telephone shall be available if the fire gets out of control to contact 911.
  • If there are any complaints resulting from an open burn, the burn shall be extinguished by the owner or the Fire Department.

-->To register your burn, please call (208) 359-3010.